Since then, I've been a bit burned out, perhaps. I haven't sewn anything (apart from a bra back extender, which took all of thirty seconds) since before the holiday. But I did finish this sweater, which I'd like to show you.
my last sweater. Immediately after finishing that one, I wanted to start another crochet project. I didn't have anything specific in mind, and decided I would decide on a patten after choosing my yarn. So I spent more than an hour going through all the yarn in the shop, and then bought, of all possibilities, the yarn that was the most similar in both color and weight to what I'd just finished using.
I like my previous yarn better, though. This yarn--Aarlan Charmeuse (vintage and no longer manufactured)--is pretty and soft, but despite being only 30% mohair (the rest is acrylic), is incredibly sheddy. I was hoping that might decrease a bit after I blocked it, but it did not. I wore the sweater to work on Tuesday, but I'm not sure how much I'll actually wind up wearing it, because it leaves little goat fibers everywhere.
|(All those little hairs you see? They are not random, from around my apartment. They are part of the fabric (at least until they stick to something else and come off).)|
The yoke also doesn't lay completely flat, for whatever reason. Maybe I just need to block it more thoroughly--it has improved a lot from what it looked like pre-blocking--or maybe this is just what openwork cardigans without a stable button/neck band do. (I see now that the instructions do tell you to make a band, but this was such an easy pattern that I hadn't looked at the instructions since shortly after I started, and I forgot that part. I guess adding a button band would've given me a bit more fabric to close things in front, but I still don't think it would've been enough. Also, I like how it looks with the openwork at the edge; I think it might look strange to then have a solid band on top of there.)
will sell or trade' tab in my Ravelry thing, because shedding...)) But it also manages to be long without looking oversized. The sleeves are wider than on my previous cardigan (and the fabric feels like it'll be more stretchy, if necessary), so I'll be able to wear this over more shirts, not just ones with fitted sleeves, which is nice.
And I like how easy it was to make. I thought my previous crochet project was pretty easy, but this, oh my god. The sleeves were a little weird at times, but for the most part, this was the kind of thing I could do without paying any attention to my work whatsoever. Once you get past the yoke, there's no shaping at all, so. My Ravelry notes say that this took three and a half months to make, but that's time from start to finish, and doesn't include all the time in between that I spent doing other things and not working on the cardigan at all. I estimate I could have done this in a week of evenings, probably.
Chevron Lace Cardigan by Milobo. I can't remember the terms I used, but whatever they were, at the time, this was the top search result. (If you search for "cardigan," limit results to crochet--no other limits necessary--and sort by most projects, this is still the top result.) I'm not totally sure now why I wound up choosing it, since it didn't yield totally what I wanted--maybe I was just looking for something that would be quick and easy (and not look super strange in a ridiculously sheddy mohair). In that, it more than gets the job done.
PS Ravelry notes here, if you want 'em.
And finally, here are project details:
Pattern: Chevron Lace Cardigan by Milobo, free on Ravelry
Made before: no
Make again: probably not, but I suppose it's possible
Sewing soundtrack: n/a
First worn: Tuesday
Wear again: yes
Total cost: $14.00